We take this opportunity to welcome you to our Environmental, Natural Resources and Climate Change Department of the Murang’a County Government. In a world that is faced with mounting environmentally related challenges, we have undertaken to play our part through rising awareness, information, integration and management of environment resources in with a view of benefiting our people and the universe at large.
The Department is the administrative structure of the Murang’a County Government charged with the the planning, promotion, co-ordination and overseeing the implementation of environmental and natural resources and climate change policies and programmes guided by the principle of sustainable development and enhancement of human well-being.
Sustainable utilization of the natural resources has been our guiding principle in the management and utilization of all both renewable and non-renewable natural resources in Murang’a County. We have developed necessary policies, legal framework and strategies to ensure maximum benefits to the local communities with little impact on the environment. Integration of indigenous traditional knowledge in the management and utilization of natural resources through community participation has been a major reason in success of Natural Resources projects implementation.
Impacts of Climate Change in Murang’a County, just like in many other parts of the world have been very significant. Changes in seasons, extreme weather, damage to infrastructure, primate – farmers’ conflict due to draught and scarce water resources, drying of rivers have been evident all across the County. The Muranga County Government has initiated serious Climate Change adaptation and mitigation projects to ensure minimal impact of these climate vulnerabilities in Muranga.
Finally, Muranga County Government engages with stakeholders in the Environment, Natural Resources and Climate Changes area to ensure knowledge, resources, technical support necessary to achieving its departmental objectives are met. We invite you to liaise with the Department for information, expression of interest, partnership and/or any other endeavour that may be beneficial to the people of Muranga County and the world at Large.
Environment, Natural Resource and Climate Change Department
Projects & Programs
- Environment Policy formulations
- Environmental Enforcement
- Environmental Entrepreneurship
- Tree Planting
- Environmental Education and Awareness
- Solid waste management
- Energy Jikos Program
- Renewable Energy Enterprise
- Asbestos Disposal and Management
- Primates – Human conflict management
- Soil Conservation Management
- Plastic Pollution Management
- Air pollution control
- Noise pollution Control
- Volunteering Program
- Internship/Attachment Program
NATURAL RESOURCES DEPARTMENT
- Resource Mapping
- Minerals Prospecting
- Biodiversity Conservation
- Game Conservation
- Flora & Fauna Genetic Bank
- Sand & Stone Quarries Management and Rehabilitation.
CLIMATE CHANGE DEPARTMENT
- Awareness and Education
- Climate Change Adaptation
- Climate Change Mitigation
- Mini-Hydropower Generation
- Animal Orphanage/Zoos
- Solar energy generation,
- wind power generation
- Waste collection, treatment, transportation and waste recycling
- Bio-ethanol production
- Garbage incinerators
- solid waste management systems
- Hydrams and small irrigation kits
- Polyethene paper and plastic container recycling
- Organic fertilizer production
- Natural water bottling
- Consultancy Services